Basic Grommet Setting Tips
- Always test your setting technique on scrap of the same fabric and same
number of layers.
- When hammer setting, always work on a stable surface which will not flex
with the pounding of the hammer. The floor is the best place but can be awkward.
- Work slowly and carefully. It is impossible to "unset" a grommet.
- The grommet goes on the "right side" or "outside" of the garment and the
washer goes on the inside.
- Always use a washer!
- Only use rubber or rawhide mallets.
A) With Pliers
- Punch hole in fabric with included hole punch. Use rubber mallet.
- Place grommet through hole in fabric.
- Pliers should be in your hand with the longest center "probe" coming up
from the bottom jaw.
- Place the fabric and grommet on this with the grommet against the jaw,
the fabric upper most and the probe through the grommet hole.
- Slowly squeeze the pliers shut to attain an even set.
NOTE: We have found that the shank of grommet is not always long enough on
this kit and that a rough finish can result. This could be uncomfortable next
to the skin and a placket may be required to finish the garment.
B) With Hammer Punch Tool
Hammer Setting Kits require a rubber or rawhide hammer which is NOT
- Punch hole in fabric with included hole punch.
- Place grommet through the hole in the fabric.
- Place grommet and fabric, with grommet on bottom, onto the round
metal disk. Grommet should rest in the circular groove found on the
top of the disk.
- Place washer over grommet with fabric in between.
- Place the steel setting tool over the washer with the "probe" entering
the grommet and washer hole.
- Be sure all pieces are in place and hammer 3-4 times.